Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Cover, formatting, and some unrelated things

     I'm sitting at work, listening to Dire Straits, fairly bored.  Which is okay; I get a lot of other work done.  My driver is sick and doesn't believe that it harms his image at all if he lets me know it by hacking up a lung.  Sometimes, he becomes so pathetic, I don't know whether to feel sorry for him or smack him for being so obvious.
     Anyway, been searching forums and websites for tips and instructions on formatting my book for Kindle.  Finally got it out of submission format into something that looks more like a book.  Downloaded a DIY formatting program, spent twenty minutes putting my book into a file format it would accept, and finally uploaded.  Okay, let's see what it looks like.    ...     Yeah, not so good.  Alrighty, fix.
     Before I go on, I should probably tell you that I know zilch about html.  I know less than zilch about fixing something in html.  When my formatting program pulled up my book in html, it was an absolute, mind-boggling mess.  I sat there, staring at the screen.  "What the heck is this?"  Back to another forum with very long explanations of how to use html.  I didn't even want to start reading them.  My eyes recognized the words, but my brain had no idea what any of it meant.
     Bottom line:  I think I'll hire someone to format my book for Kindle.  It'll cost me, sure, but I've found a few places that are much less expensive than some other I found, and I really, really don't want to screw up my book.  I think I can probably do the cover by myself (as long as I don't try and get fancy by making it look three-dimensional or anything).  In the end, I think I will breathe much easier paying someone else to do a good job.


No comments:

Post a Comment